Sunday, September 14, 2008

A break

I've just read a grand total of five chapters from my textbooks, as well as a few pages of classical philosophy from Plato and Socrates. So, I had to take a break to do my blog for my media and social identity class.

While surfing the web to find an article, I discovered that in blogs that people write for CNN or NY Times, you'll get the occasional AOL lingo. "That's sad," I thought to myself. "You would think they'd at least come up with some new little sayings just to be impressive in their 15 minutes of fame."

Then, I had the realization that there HAS to be lingo that I don't know about. So I looked up a list. And here's the fucking goldmine that I found.

CUI - Cracking up inside
CUL8R - See you later
CTN - Can't talk now
FTW - For the win (What the fuck?! Yeah, because I use that in my everyday chat.)
KOTC - Kiss on the cheek
IMO - In my opinion
SHR - Shower (...Really?)
YT - You there
YTB - You're the best
STFW - Search the fucking web (No, seriously, it was on the list.)
And...last but not least...
ROFLMAO

Yeah, there are a lot of people who say that our generation will be far surpassing in intelligence in every way, shape, and form. In my opinion (or IMO), if we can't even remember how to properly use real words, let alone in a sentence form, let alone understand and apply the more complex rules of grammar, I'm not quite sure how far we'll get...

1 comment:

Monster Librarian said...

YUCKO!! Another fun thing to do is check out this site:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/
It is like Wikipedia; People post their own definitions to new pop culture words and phrases. I have had some good laughs (and learned a little) from this site!!