Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Warm fuzzies on a fluffy snowflake day

Little Aiden Michael Hester was born 8:23 pm yesterday evening. A whopping seven pounds and four ounces, and a bundle of pure sweetness. His eyes are so bright, and at less than a day old, he's already trying to look around figure everyone and everything out. His mom's doing great, grandparents are smiling from ear to ear, and I'm caught up in all of my thoughts just trying to comprehend the entire situation.

When I was looking at him yesterday, touching his tiny little fingers and chubby little cheeks, I tried to fully comprehend how people choose not to believe in God when something so perfect and so pure can come into existence within nine months. Little button nose, a bit of peach fuzz on the top of his head, rosebud lips - each feature is distinctly his as well as distinctly linked to various members of our family.

And at the same time, as perfect and pure as that little creature is, it's amazing how just a little coo from him while he's curled up in your arms can strike a bit of fear into your heart. In a few short hours, I realized that my whole life is going to be completely different from this point on, in a lot of wonderful ways, and in a lot of ways that will cause plenty of frustration and tears. You can't help but wonder about all the ways that he'll succeed, and yet you're worried to see where the bumps (or even sinkholes) will appear on his path.

While all of these thoughts were racing through my head, I just held him close as he scrunched his tiny nose and yawned, and all I could tell him with conviction was "I'm Auntie Pammy - and I'm going to spoil you rotten."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

awww i cant wait to meet him!!! :)

aahhtalkingmuffins said...

"I'm Auntie Pammy - and I'm going to spoil you rotten."

I can just see you saying that in a really weird voice. well, not weird, but....you know what, I'll demonstrate tomorrow. and don't let me forget that I have the Goonies for you!

Monster Librarian said...

Welcome to Aunt-hood!
It is all worth it; even the stress, frustration and fear the little buggers strike up in your heart. There is so much happiness, laughter and amazing love from them too! I promise! ;)