Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Coffee Shop Thoughts

A cliche goal in life is to write and successfully publish a book. I've been tossing the idea around in my brain for quite some time now. It's not that I can't do it - I'm a talented and meticulous writer, and I love the art of words with a passion that's borderline unhealthy. I just haven't been able to put my finger on exactly what I want to write about.

I think I've figured it out. Coffee shops. Barista chronicles. I wouldn't want to focus on the business aspect at all - in fact, I think the focus on the dollar bills as opposed to the love of the product that typically starts any major chain is the reason that coffee is turning into a status-symbol commodity rather than, well, just coffee. I wouldn't even use the name of the coffee shops that I've been employed at, or the ones that I frequent. I think it'd be fascinating to just talk about the role a barista plays in a coffee shop - not so much the whole "taking pride in a great double shot of espresso," but more the customer relation aspect.

To put it bluntly: wouldn't a book about the nut jobs that frequent coffee shops be a good read? Bartenders can blame these people's actions on alcohol, waiters and waitresses can blame it on hunger - baristas can only blame it on the obscurity of human nature. Caffeine addiction doesn't even cover it with these people - you can lay more blame on the cycle of the moon than on that.

I would talk about some of the sweeter moments, and some of the absolutely incredible people that I've met along the way...but still, I can't help but feel like people would be more interested in the crazy aspect than anything. There's nothing like a book that makes you legitimately laugh out loud and thank your lucky stars that you have your sanity and an occupation that keeps you as far away from these people as possible.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

haha this is such a good idea. I actually wrote a blog talking about PetSmart customers. It was fun to write :) I would love to read yours haha

aahhtalkingmuffins said...

Excellent idea! I will be the first in line to buy it!