Sunday, November 2, 2008

Upset moments

So, today was one of those rather emotional days. For starters, mass today was a celebration of All Souls' Day where we pray for all those that have passed away. I know a mass like this shouldn't upset me, because it's more of a celebration of our loved ones "going home" than a day to grieve. But still, I can't help but feel a twinge of sadness - there are so many people that have passed away in my life that I miss with all of my heart. I wonder if they're proud of me, you know? I guess that's what everyone thinks when they lose someone...

My brother, Matt, is officially moving out this week (considering his wedding is in six days). Pretty much all of his stuff has been packed up today. This hit me way harder than expected. I've been fighting tears all day. He's been the mediator in my family ever since Julia and I could fight (which started at a very young age). He's always been a person that I could talk to, especially when things started to get crazy and too much for one person to handle. We've never really been apart for longer than a month. Now he's leaving...God, this sucks.

Last, but certainly not least, my grandparents came over today and said "I have something for you." They handed me a folded up piece of paper...turns out it was a photocopied picture of me from the Michigan Catholic article, with the whole quote about how I was undecided circled. Underneath that, they had stapled an article about how abortion is the worst evil in the world, and they listed all the reasons why voting for Obama would be playing into this sort of "evil." It's kind of funny, really. I could get into comparing the whole treatment of the different siblings, but it's not worth it - the long and short of it is this is bullshit.

You know, I could feed hundreds of people, clothe every naked person on the planet, and cause a revolutionary spur to let no one live without health care, and it still wouldn't be good enough to some because it's either too liberal, too conservatie, the wrong religion, the wrong reasons, and so on.

This whole day feels hopeless. I need hot chocolate and a puppy. But instead, I'm going to go work on a paper. Ciao.

1 comment:

Monster Librarian said...

Pam-erama! Aww...I know exactly how you feel about your bro leaving home. I am the youngest of four and when my two brothers left home for the military (after my sister had gone away to college) I was so sad and the house so empty. It gets better.

You can borrow Toby...not the smartest puppy, but sorta loving!