Saturday, August 16, 2008

Restless 2 am.

I wish there was some sort of way to shut your brain off.

No. Seriously. My overactive mind is the leading cause of lack of sleep these days. I've tried everything from reading, writing, praying, watching tv, drinking sleepy time tea (yes, there is such a creature)...it doesn't change the fact that, for whatever reason, I have to lay in bed for an hour or more to just think. It's as if there's some sort of gerbil in my head, running on one of those little exercise wheels nonstop, the wheel making constant squeaking noises everytime the gerbil's pudgy little legs push him to take a step.

"So, what's on your mind?"

That's the thing - nothing in particular. I'm typically not overly bothered by much of anything. I'm really not stressed, I'm not working too hard. I'll think about everything from conversations I've had, stories I heard on the news, books I'd like to read...just random, stupid crap. (Granted, tonight's a wee bit of a different scenario, but we don't need to get into that.)

It's the same when I'm going for a walk, or even when I'm reading...my thoughts move so quickly that it's difficult for me to grasp them, if that makes any sense at all.

So if anyone has a solution, fill me in. I'm all ears....or eyes, considering this is a blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem. I talked to my doctor about it during my physical and he suggested not using my bed for anything but sleep. (I used to read in bed before going to sleep) this way, your body associates your bed with sleep and nothing else. He also told me not to eat or drink a couple hours before bed and to make sure there was no light or noise to keep me up. hope it works for ya.